Welcome! I'm Jean Kavich Bloom, and as a freelance editor, I work collaboratively with authors and publishing professionals to help make the written word fully accessible and editorially excellent, while at the same time ensuring that an author's vision, story, passion, voice, and insight remain intact. I work primarily with Christian authors and publishers.
Background and Experience
I'm privileged to have more than thirty-three years of publishing experience, including fourteen years as a freelancer, nine of them full-time. As of winter 2021, I've edited more than one hundred novels and novellas and more than 120 nonfiction books, many featuring story. You can read more about my background and experience here and here, author testimonials here, and professional publishing recommendations here.
When I provide line/copy editing I . . .
- Eliminate awkward phrasing, tighten writing, ensure precise word choices, and achieve excellence in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Address timeline, point of view (POV), and staging inconsistencies for both fiction and nonfiction featuring story, as well as any issues created when dots don't connect or gaps have formed.
- Adhere to standard industry and in-house style guides.
When I provide a substantive / macro / developmental edit I . . .
- Generate a detailed editorial letter assessing overall structure and organization and clearly outlining what I think works, what I think can be improved, and ideas for how to make improvements. With this level of edit for fiction, an assessment of character development, for instance, is included.
- Make helpful notations in the manuscript file.
- Answer questions to further ensure clarity for actionable suggestions.
- Put ideas and information into readable, accessible form for the client's chosen target audience.
- Write to space and word count requirements without losing the essence of the message or the voice of the author or organization.
- more about who I am
- the services and rates I offer
- the projects I've edited
- the types of professional writing I do
- the clients I work for
- what some authors and clients say about my work.
Thanks for stopping by. Picture me drinking coffee. I probably am!
Background Image Photo Credit: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=7022&picture=herbarium; Coffee Mug Image Photo Credit: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=14460&picture=hanging-cups; Computer image: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=257680&picture=laptop-business-keyboard-techno; Vintage paper image: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=332472&picture=vintage-writing-paper; Mark Twain photo: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=261083&picture=mark-twain-vintage-photo; book with flower drawing: https://publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=256025&picture=coloring-book-for-adults-colored