Line and copyediting: When I provide line and copyediting, usually in combination, I . . .
- work to eliminate awkward phrasing, tighten writing, ensure precise word choices, and achieve excellence in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- address timeline, point of view (POV), and staging inconsistencies for both fiction and nonfiction featuring story, as well as any issues created when dots don't connect or gaps have formed.
- adhere to standard industry and in-house style guides.
Substantive / macro / developmental editing: When I provide a developmental edit, I . . .
- generate a detailed editorial letter assessing overall structure and organization and clearly outlining what I think works, what I think can be improved, and ideas for how to make improvements. With this level of edit for fiction, an assessment of character development, for instance, is included.
- make helpful notations in the manuscript file.
- answer questions to further ensure clarity for actionable suggestions.
- Put ideas and information into readable, accessible form for the client's chosen target audience.
- Write to space and word count requirements without losing the essence of the message or the voice of the author or organization.
Note: I do not offer proofreading or indexing services.